Thursday, May 23, 2013

Stereotype Bus

Nom nom nom. That’s the sound of eating. Food. Food is what keeps us alive. It’s one of the (many) things that keeps us, or at least me, happy. Very happy. One of the countless pleasures of visiting new places is discovering their happy source, aka, their food. Whenever I go anywhere new, I push myself to discover a taste of the local cuisine. As we all know, food is a defining piece of a country’s culture. This may be good, or in the case of America, it may be bad. Let’s take a short detour; everyone hop in the stereotype bus!
  • Americans eat hamburgers, apple pie, fruit roll ups, and the occasional thimbleberry.
    • Despite what everyone thinks, we (or I, at least) are not the typical face-stuffing obese man who eats at McDonald’s for every meal. I think it’s fair to say that although we don’t have our own distinct food tradition, we (or at least I) eat pretty well.
  • Parisians eat croissants, duck, and chocolate.
    • This is extremely accurate, except that crepes were forgotten.
  • Peruvian people eat Mexican food.
  • Behold, Snuggles. I'm sorry. I had to.
    • NO. When I was in Peru, one of the guys in our tour group ordered a guinea pig. Yes, you read it right, guinea pig (called Cui, in the Peruvian language). I know what you’re thinking, but no, this was not the Snuggles you saw at Petco. This was like a small dog. And, yes, I did taste a piece. And yes, it was slightly disgusting. All I’ll say is: if you like salty chicken, then Snuggles is your kind of meal.
  • Mexicans eat Cafe Rio.
    • I hate to break it to you, but Cafe Rio doesn’t really count as Mexican food. ***DISCLAIMER: this blog post is not meant to offend any member of the Cafe Rio family or its food. I love Cafe Rio with a fiery passion and I would kill to eat it for every meal.*** Anyway, when we went to Mexico I ate:
      • The best guacamole in the universe
      • An empanada made from God’s tears
      • Ceviche. Oh.
      • And an assortment of other things. It’s weird though, I didn’t see one Cafe Rio.
  • Hawaiians eat flowers.
    • I truly hope you're smart enough to see the flaws in this statement.
  • In Canada they drink maple syrup for breakfast.
    • I don’t know for sure, but I think that Canadians would be morbidly obese by now if this were the case. I think I’ve shared this before, but Canadian ice cream is prime.

Wherever you are, food is a huge piece of culture, and I think it’s super cool to be able to take that experience with me when I leave a place. Now please excuse me while I go eat Cafe Rio.

P.S: Today in my geography class my teacher brought in a jar of Vegemite (which is Australian) for us all to try. I gagged and spit it out. Imagine salty fish in liquid form. My ginger cousins eat it on a sandwich. *cringe*

2 comments:

  1. I am happy now. That was quite possibly one of the best things I have ever read. What on earth is a thimbleberry?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soooo this is probably the 4th or 5th time I've read this post since Friday...I still laughed out loud. Congrats on winning Best Blogger in all the Land!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete